Monday, September 6, 2010

doodles of an uninhibited microbiologist


I get a bit loopy after siting at the microscope for hours. Inevitably, I began doodling on the lab ordering board. I now feel my circle-drawing skillage should be displayed publicly.

This first drawing is of common marine microbes (Cytophaga-Flavobacteria, Roseobacter, SAR11, Gamma-proteobacteria) and their affinity for dissolved organic matter (DOM) and other particulate junk floating in the ocean. Some like it (C-F) and others don't so much. SAR11 seems to compete better under low-nutrient conditions. More than you ever wanted to know about marine microbes :)



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Myrna, I saw the C-F guy with the dark spot in the upper corner... I read "G-F" instead and thought he was urinating... G-F-Pee! I am an inappropriate nerd...

ExtremMicrobia said...

This blog will suit you well then ;) Inappropriatism is encouraged. If I had colored dry erase markers I would make the black spot bright green instead, just for you!